Thursday, August 16, 2012

When helping out a friend becomes...

... the best big problem you have ever had.

I have not posted much about the mushroom business.  We have been working away at it slowly and methodically.  We have gotten to a point where our harvests are abundant, continuous and predictable.  This makes marketing easier and when we fill our customers needs, sell at the local farmers market and still have a bit left over to share with friends, I feel like we have done a good job.

Last Sunday a friend of a friend took a picture of me and posted it on Facebook.  The FOAF tagged my friend (also a mushroom cultivator in Iowa)  and asked if he knew who I was.  The response was an enthusiastic "Yes!" 

Later in the morning I got a call from the friend in Iowa.  He was heading to Telluride for the annual mushroom conference and asked if I had any mushrooms that I would be willing to sell/donate or whatever to the cause.  He was assisting the coordination of a cooking demonstration.  I gave him 7 lbs and the use of the cooler to transport.

Honestly I am hoping that he is able to spread my business card around and everyone can enjoy the fungus.  If he comes back with some dried culinary fungus to share that would make my day.

Last night I get a call my Iowa friend...  "Fred, do you have a business logo on a website that we can use?"

"We are in the process of creating one that will reflect our organic certification.  Why, what happened?"

"The chef putting on the demonstration wants to put it on a banner for the cooking demonstration." 

"Oh, sweet!  Let me see what I can dig up."

"You may want to hurry up on this."

"Why?"

"Because the cooking demonstration is going to be showcased on Food Network in a month or so!"

There is a saying that "What goes around, comes around."  That seems to work for the good as well as the bad.

A helluva problem to have.


No comments:

Post a Comment